It’s still possible to restart your PC or Mac by just pressing your keyboard if you cannot use the mouse, trackpad, or touch screen. If you cannot use other input options, keyboard shortcuts like Alt + F4 for Windows or Control + Eject for macOS can be very useful. You can easily restart your computer without a mouse or trackpad by following this article. Here are How to Restart Your Computer Using the Keyboard.
How to Restart Your Windows PC Using the Keyboard
Hold down the Alt key. Your keyboard has an Alt key that’s located on either side. Your keyboard has an Alt key that’s located on either side.
Hold down the F4 key. On the top left of your keyboard is a row of F keys.
- Any open applications and windows, including browser windows, will be closed when this key combination is pressed
- For some models of laptops, pressing and holding the Fn key is necessary to use the function keys (Fn + Alt + F4).
Close all applications by repeating the above steps. Ensure that all applications and browsers are closed.
Press *Restart to begin the process. If it isn’t already selected, select “Restart” using the directional arrow keys on your keyboard.
- All open applications and windows on your computer must be closed for this window to appear.
- Once you select this, you will no longer need to use your mouse to restart your computer.
If none of the previous steps worked for you, use a key shortcut to restart. To sign out or shut down your computer, press Enter after pressing Win + X. Navigate to Restart by pressing the arrow keys and pressing Enter.
Know More | How to use snap layouts in Windows 11
How to Restart Your Mac Using the Keyboard
Hold down the Ctrl key. By pressing Ctrl on either side of your Space bar, you can access the Ctrl key.
When using the Touch ID sensor, press and hold the Power button. A dialogue box will appear upon restarting, sleeping, or shutting down. A dialogue box will appear—press Return after selecting “Restart” with your keyboard arrow keys.
- You won’t be able to press the Power button if your phone has a Touch ID sensor.
Find a different keyboard shortcut. If your Mac won’t restart, just press Command + Cmd + Power or Command + Cmd+ Eject Media.